Wednesday 23 July 2014

Book vs. Movie: The Fault In Our Stars

Disclaimer
If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram you would have seen my promise to get back on track with my blog straight after the Junior Cert. I was all geared up to improve my blogging with three posts a week, then one thing after another I just couldn't blog. Our Laptop screen smashed meaning I couldn't use that and using my tablet was beyond difficult. Then when we finally got a laptop last weekend, our Internet wouldnt work. The reason was, I had used up our allowance from watching Pretty Little Liars(oops).
So now with a new laptop and our Internet allowance renewed I am back and this time I mean it when I say I am going to put 110% into each post.

Last Friday I went to see The Fault In Our Stars(TFIOS). I was left speechless, amazed and truly inspired by the whole movie. But what was different between the book and the movie?
The Book:
I read the book back in February or March and the gripping storyline definitely intrigued me- even my mum couldnt put it down. 
If you have been living under a rock and you are oblivious to TFIOS, let me give you a very brief outline.
Two teenagers, Hazel and Augustus, meet through a cancer support group and both fall for each other. The rest of the book you'll have to find out for yourself.
I find the storyline so gripping because cancer has definitely affected 10/10 families around the world, and two teenagers struggling with it really makes you appreciate what you have. 

The Movie:
The movie, as well as the book, is light-hearted but also gets the effect of cancer in a serious heart felt way. I am a huge book worm and I always choose the books over the movie but in this case the movie wins this hands down.
In my opinion visually seeing the life of both of these characters really toys with your emotions, allowing you to express the feeling you may have felt while reading the book a bit more. There is definitely humour in both the book and the movie which definitely takes away from some of the tension that may be there without the humour.
Although I chose the movie I would recommend reading the book before you watch the movie to have a better understanding of what's going on.

I am aware my opinion may not be favoured by most, but if you have read the book and seen the movie please let me know if you agree or not.
Until Friday.
Sarah x

No comments:

Post a Comment